Monday, July 2, 2007

Offer to Fill ALL the Drinks

I joined a friend for lunch today and we ate at Montana's Steak House. Good place with great food. My favorites are the brisket and the roasted chicken. They have a very good country rice side dish.

Anyway, for our drinks I ordered an ice water with lemon (the lemon usually cuts the chlorine taste in city water) and my friend had a beer. Normally he has coffee, which is what made me think of this post. When we have eaten out before the server always checks back to see if he needed more coffee. This is normal practice, keep the coffee cup full as often as possible.

Today our server asked me if I wanted a refill of my ice water. It struck me then that I usually have to ask for more water. It doesn't seem to be automatic for servers to offer water refills as much as they do for coffee, cola, lemonade, or a drink from the bar. They always offer refills for every drink except for those drinking water. The fact she offered made me want to give her a slightly larger than average tip.

So, servers, when you offer to refill drinks remember that the people who choose to drink water will also want a refill. They may decide to have water because they can not drink the other beverages that are available. Keep in mind that water is a drink too. Plus, if you keep up on the water as well as the other beverages, you can increase your tips. Since there is no charge for water, you are making free money if you impress the water drinkers.

No comments:

Border Land Hospitality

Border Land Hospitality Home Page

Helping hotels do what they do best, better.

Hotel Manager Talk

The Podcast Dedicated to Hotel Employees