Saturday, June 23, 2007

Lacking Service

It happened again. Of course it really isn't any big surprise. Service is so bad in so many places that it is what people expect, no matter where they go.

Today I had a small snack and a bottle of water at a nice little place in town. I had a book with me to just sit in a quiet corner and read. That was not a problem, the place was quiet and the chair was quite comfortable. The service, on the other hand, was lacking. I stood there for over five minutes before the girl working even bothered to look at me and say she would be with me in a moment. I know it as five minutes because I have a habit of looking at my watch. Comes from years of watching and timing my own staff. She could see me, I watched her make up three fancy drinks for customers waiting outside the drive through window. If I had a piece of paper to wad up I could have gently tossed it and it would have made contact. I say this without fear of exaggeration. I would never do that, she was that close to me that I could have.

When she did notice me she rang up my purchase and walked away to do some other work. No 'thank you', no 'have a nice day', just turned away.

With service so bad in so many places it really doesn't take very much to stand out. Little, simple, easy things can make all the difference you need to be the best in your guest's (customer's) eyes. So, why not do it?

Will Maguire

No comments:

Border Land Hospitality

Border Land Hospitality Home Page

Helping hotels do what they do best, better.

Hotel Manager Talk

The Podcast Dedicated to Hotel Employees