Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Same People, Different Standards

Had my dinner at another burger joint tonight. Yeah, yeah, I know, not healthy. I wasn’t in the mood to cook and just wanted something quick. Besides, I was in the mood for a burger and fries.

The staff working at this burger place was very good. They were friendly, they smiled, the place was clean (and I mean really clean). What some might find surprising is that the staff was mostly young people. I would guess high school age boys and girls with one woman supervisor, I could not see into the kitchen so I don’t know what they looked like back there.

Other burger places in town, including the very famous one with the golden things on the sign, employ young people as well. But, the service doesn’t quite meet up with one’s expectations for minimum service and the place always seems in need of a bit of cleaning no matter when I walk in. It might be that because of what I do my standards for minimum service may be slightly higher than the average person. I really don’t think that is the case as I observe the reactions of other customers.

Anyway, why are there such differences between these two burger places? Why do the workers, of the same age, seem to be on such opposite ends of the service spectrum? Is it because most young people are lazy workers and don’t really care?

I believe the answer is in the management. The inspiration, the guidance, the support, the training, and the re-enforcement these young people get, or don’t get as the case may be. It is the leadership that makes the difference. As I read in a book by J. Donald Walters, The Art of Leadership, “Too much attention is given to the position rather than the purpose of leadership.” And who is it that gives all this misplaced attention? The leader.

To read more about the purpose of leadership, go to THIS PAGE on my website.

No comments:

Border Land Hospitality

Border Land Hospitality Home Page

Helping hotels do what they do best, better.

Hotel Manager Talk

The Podcast Dedicated to Hotel Employees