Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My Fish Story

Service is doing that which others need but are unable to do for them selves. Or it can be doing what other would rather not do for them selves. Either way, service is still doing something for another.

In the hotel industry it is the service that will separate you from the other hotels in your area as well as other hotels in the world. Could your hotel be known around the world for your service? Of course it could. Absolutely.

I mean if a small fish market in Seattle, Washington, could become world famous why not your small hotel? Last year I visited Pike’s Place Fish Market (yeah, the place where they throw the fish) even though I do not like fish. I am the only one in my family who wants to order a burger at Red Lobster. I never really had a liking for any form of seafood.

Anyway, I went to Pike’s Place specifically to see the world famous fish market and to experience the service, if only by association. I was surprised that it was smaller than I expected. All the stories made it sound so much bigger than it actually was.

Yet the stories about the kind of service they provide were no exaggeration. They really do make the customers feel great. They really do have fun in their work and that fun rubs off on the customers. They have a great time at work and the customers (and the observers) have a great time just being there.

If you have not read the book “Fish” I would recommend it. The book is fun, just like the place.

No comments:

Border Land Hospitality

Border Land Hospitality Home Page

Helping hotels do what they do best, better.

Hotel Manager Talk

The Podcast Dedicated to Hotel Employees