Sunday, October 14, 2007

WOW Service

I had to say “wow” when this happened. I was traveling through Canada when I needed some money wired to me. My sister was kind enough to send the money I needed and she sent it by Western Union. While she was doing that it was my job to fin the nearest location to receive the money. I found one in a small drug store in a small town about 40 minute drive north of Calgary, I was heading that direction anyway.


The lady at the counter had a problem with the computer and printed the check incorrectly. She apologized and called another lady who works there for some help. This second lady was at home on her day off. She drove to the store to help figure out what to do. After about 20 minutes the owner came out to offer some help. They had to call Western Union to void the check and reprint a new one. The owner came over to apologize for the mistake. I told him I understood and then asked where I could cash the check. He looked at his watch and said the bank was closed by that time. He said he would cash it for me even though it was against store policy.


Do you see why I said “wow?” This kind of caring service is very rare these days. I suppose in a small community it is important to care about your customers because everybody needs to get along. Maybe it was because the people working in the store were, how shall I say, mature. They understand the old school standards of customer service. Something most of the younger crowd don’t understand without detailed training. Sadly, that training is not prevalent these days.


I made it a point to return to that store my next time through. They have a lifetime customer in me, too bad I don’t go through that area too often. If I lived there I would only shop at that store because they truly cared about their customer.

No comments:

Border Land Hospitality

Border Land Hospitality Home Page

Helping hotels do what they do best, better.

Hotel Manager Talk

The Podcast Dedicated to Hotel Employees